Flexible friend for GF Laser

Following the installation of a Trumpf TruLaser Cell 5030 five-axis CNC laser-profiling machine, the first such model in the UK, GF Laser is enjoying the flexibility afforded by a system that can switch quickly and easily between 3D and 2D cutting to suit workload requirements. The machine has also provided a further boost to throughput speed at the company’s Dudley headquarters and manufacturing centre.

“Since installation, the TruLaser Cell 5030 has been busy processing a multitude of different parts,” states director Simon Tregillus. “Not only have we been using it as a five-axis machine for profiling 3D components, we’ve also used it extensively for flat-bed cutting, which was one of the main reasons behind its selection. It’s been doing everything from the trimming of automotive pressings, spinnings and extrusions, through to components for the fire-retarding industry. The machine has probably been in five-axis configuration 60% of the time, reverting to flat-bed format for the remaining 40% whenever we reach capacity on our existing trio of Trumpf 2D laser cutters.”
On a regular basis, the 4kW Trumpf TruLaser Cell 5030 is processing parts from materials that include mild, galvanised and stainless steel, as well as aluminium. The company is also using the machine to profile pressings and spinnings made from yellow metals such as copper and brass. Unlike laser cutters based on CO2 technology, the fibre-based TruLaser Cell 5030 has no such issues with these reflective materials. The machine, which offers a bed size of 3000 x 1500 mm, also processes formed and straight tube, as well as box and angle section.

“Most of the parts we process on the TruLaser Cell 5030 are up to 5 mm in thickness, while typical batch sizes are circa 500,” says Tregillus.

For further information
www.uk.trumpf.com

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *