The apex of quality for Carville

Typical of loyal Mitutoyo customers that have embraced the recently launched Crysta-Apex-V CNC CMM range is Dorking-based Carville Ltd, a specialist in precision plastic machining.

Carville purchased its first Mitutoyo CMM over 20 years ago, and since that time the business has installed a further three Mitutoyo CMMs in its quality department. After two decades of sterling service, the company’s original Mitutoyo’s CMM was recently replaced with a new Crysta-Apex-V CNC CMM.

Carville managing director Vince Ellis explains: “Carville supplies many clients based in the medical device and in-vitro diagnostics markets, sectors that produce the highest safety class of products (such as Class III medical devices). Our parts are often classed as “critical to function and safety”. We therefore support all of our clients’ ISO13485 requirements with our QMS, including full traceability, testing, measurement and vigilance support.

“Along with several other improvements, we’ve been very impressed with the increased precision, speed and automated nature of our new Crysta-Apex-V CNC CMM,” he continues. “These advantages have already helped to increase the throughput of work in our quality department. Along with our existing two older Mitutoyo CMMs, our new model is now being kept busy measuring components, including first-offs, last-offs and mid-production run samples, and generating SPC data and in-depth inspection reports.”

Unlike earlier generation CMMs, a controlled environment is now unnecessary as the Crysta-Apex-V series machines maintain their accuracy over a temperature range of 16-26°C. An active scanning feature enables high-speed measurement by evaluating discrepancies between design values and actual workpiece dimensions while maintaining the advantages of 3D optimal-path scanning. When compared with conventional CNC CMMs, the V Series delivers higher maximum drive speed and acceleration of around + 20% and + 40% respectively, says Mitutoyo. This rapid movement, combined with typically 60% higher measuring speed, significantly reduces inspection times.

For further information